Saturday, August 27, 2011

Remember that time I tried to be a train conductor?  Here's a recap of the hiring session:
HR lady had a cheese blintz fixation, and the first hour of the orientation was dominated by increasingly dire predictions of our future in train conducting.  One little known fact is that trains, much like dobermans, can smell fear...
...and will act upon that.  If you aren't "truefful" to yourself, if, for example, you did not wear your seatbelt, or did not really mean it when you prayed, the train may CUT YOU IN HALF (they really said this).  It's like the final scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when Indy and the bad guy have to pick the real holy grail, and the bad guy picks the wrong one and gets eaten up by maggots and rot and blows into dust.  Sobering, folks.  Also, not for me.  And for our hours of early a.m. misery, they didn't give us so much as a cup of coffee, hence my wistful tracing of the carrot nipple I brought in my pocket.

Anyway, on Monday I begin a different job, a job which has risen from the ashes of my transportation industry career dreams on warm gentle winds: hot air balloon launcher.  I know!  So much better than being a train conductor.  Wish me luck.

P.S. Sally, these drawings are very inspired by the ones you used to do in class.  Thanks for showing me that coping mechanism.

1 comment:

  1. AHHHH!!! hahahahaha! this is a glorious peak!
    thank you!
    as for the coping, holy god, do i need it now!
    have fun pulling the FIRE CORD! oh man, i want to be apart of the virgin crew you bring to the atmosphere only to say, "okay, so i've never done this before guys. haha!"

    and don't blow a cheez blitz...

    ReplyDelete