Saturday, November 13, 2010

New Tat

Did this drawing last night, in one marathon sitting. I'm pretty slow (and deer legs are wicked hard to get right -- they still look pretty stiff to me). It was midnight when I finished. I'd been reading Russian Fairy Tales illustrated by the remarkable Ivan Bilibin all day, and re-reading The Master and Margarita, so maybe that's why it's so... um.... whimsical? macabre?  Whimsico-macabre. I promised my girlfriend that I'd design a tattoo for her, to finish her sleeve which already has a Japanese folk tale wound up in it. So I figured this would fit in. It will be mostly green with some red for the blood and fungi, and the deer will be fawn-colored.  If she accepts it, that is.  If not, I don't blame her.  It's weird-lookin.

6 comments:

  1. And if she does decline, which would surprise me, can i get it as a face tattoo? or maybe neck? yeesh, lady.
    Your deer-ish being makes the Forest Spirit in Princess Monanoke look like a major league sports mascot. i tell you what...
    -tron

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guessed the inspiration! I haven't seen Princess Mononoke since I was an impressionable preteen, but that moment when the forest king first appears burned itself into my memory and I've never forgotten it. The face is borrowed from Victor Vasnetsov's Bogomater (Mother of God), in my opinion one of the most beautiful faces in all of artdom. I am deeply, deeply honored to receive your thumbs-up! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just see it on her arm! What a finishing tuch! It makes me feel that I know a secret of the earth. A secret they did not intend for me to know.
    -t-rese

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never cease to amaze, you know. You've got my vote for humanity's representative at the Extradimensional Cosmic Enlightenment Sing-Sing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JAKE! Hell's bells where are you man?! Whats your contact info? I miss you!

    ReplyDelete