Wednesday, September 30, 2009

God Killed the Queen

I tried to be an anarchist for a little while, not very hard, admittedly. Only as long as it was interesting, aping the wild kids with their neo-tribal get-ups and crazy train-hopping tales. I knew that, whatever my intentions, it wouldn't work. I was not, am not a true believer. Sooner or later I was going to run like Gulliver from the Brobdingnagians (or whatever they were called). The reason for this is that, in my heart of hearts, I did not care that a large number of English children died of starvation, black lung, and/or industrial machine malfunction in order to produce the decadence that made Oscar Wilde's flowered necktie possible. I preferred Oscar Wilde, an unnecessary dandy and wit-about-town, to a number of innocent, common, tortured children. Therefore I could not be an anarchist. Nor can I be anything at all useful in the world. In fact, I did the only thing my talents and this perversion allowed, which was to read a lot of literature and write useless stories.

I confess that I do not believe in equality, a requisite thing for any reformer. Philsophically, yes. Ideally, without a doubt. Each soul is glorious, irreplicable, and so beyond value that the word "perfect" is an insult. But equality is an artificial attribute. Why throw away children? Because I can't. Because they aren't my children. Because I have no say in it. God has already killed them, and no amount of violent, egalitarian rearrangement (however much I love to "smash shit," however earnestly God smashed his own shit on the cross) will bring even one back. (Interestingly, I just remembered that this is what Ivan Karamazov said... and Alyosha's answer, his great mystery and first commandment given to him by the dying elder, was, "You ARE responsible for every man. Every man's sin is your own." Hardly Christian...)

In "A Tomb for Boris Davidovich," Boris the aging revolutionary par excellence fights the interrogator to write his own story, himself as Revolutionary. This is his tomb. Oh it is a beautiful story. Does he get his tomb? Every word is a stone, set, then destroyed, then set again with all the agony and devotion of an animal struggling against death. This is all that matters. What revolution? Build your monument. Wear your flowered necktie. Love the children. God loves them and the capitalists. God loves the brick and the window. God will kill the children. God will kill the anarchists. God killed Oscar Wilde.

P.S. I understand that it is unfashionable to use the word "God." I should have substituted "life," "Nature," "the universe," or some such other abstraction. To me, it will always be God. So what. If you believe in the death of the author, you may read in whatever noun you prefer. Cabbage, for all I care.

3 comments:

  1. Emmanuel Levinas, a Jew, also argues that you are responsible for everyman. Responsibilty for the Other that is beyond the possibility of fulfilling. Like Bonhoffer, a Christian, believed; we are always sinning because we are responsible for the others sins. Interesting aswell, Levinas does not believe in equality either. Equality destroies the alterity of the Other which makes us responsible for them. Whether or not God is then responsibile for us and whether we are responsible for God is the unanswered question of my senior thesis. If we are responsible for God's actions then we would be responsible for God's killing of the Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krystan, in publishing this page, you've given me the ability to cut myself a little slice of sublimnity any time of day or night. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cut it, cut it. May your accidents likewise produce sublimity.

    I had forgotten about Levinas and inequality! And your thesis! How interesting... We keep circling the same questions, it seems. But if we're responsible for God, then we are responsible for mortality itself, which is why we made/approached God in the first place. OH! Read a book called The Master and Margarita. In the first chapter, two of the characters are talking to the devil, arguing against the existence of God. It's beautiful. I won't tell you how it ends, but it's brutal. It bears directly on all this.

    ReplyDelete